People have to face many natural disasters and weather disturbances like storms in their lives. To give awareness about these weather conditions, some warnings are given to the public. In this regard, Public Storm Warning Signal #1 is used in the beginning to aware the public of such conditions.
It is one of the first lines of safe shield against tropical cyclones. This may cause light to average damage to coastal communities. The weather change in storm conditions also damage unroofed houses and many old electrified iron roofs.
No doubt, we can’t stop such natural disasters but we can get some safety precautions to minimize their impacts. People should have to monitor the latest storm situations with warning signals. They have to postpone their outdoor activities, keep them secured, and take precautions given by the authorities.
If you still are unaware of the Public Storm Warning Signal #1, don’t worry. In this article, we will discuss it in detail and tell you what you should have to do in this situation. So, let’s start by talking about what is it and what precautions you should have to adopt.
Public Storm Warning Signals
It warns people about upcoming weather disturbances. These consists of intensity, direction, storm velocity, circulation size, and also many other features of signals to location. In this condition, the measuring Technology Department examines the storm’s warning signals in advance. It warns people that don’t go outside unnecessarily.
These signals are activated when a tropical cyclone is forecasted to hit an area within 36 hours. To protect people, warnings by texts, phone calls, or visual screens are delivered. The signals are issued with gaps of around 24 hours, 18 hours, and 12 hours for storms.
Before moving towards explaining Public Storm Warning Signals 1, first we enlisted some of the storm warning signals which are used generally. Let’s have a look at these types of warnings about storms for general use.
- When a tropical cyclone with winds of 30-60 km/h is predicted over the next 24 hours (PSWS1)
- A tropical cyclone with a wind of 61-120 km/h is due to form within the next 24 hours (PSWS2)
- A tropical storm with a wind of 121-170 km/h is forecasted within the next 18 hours (PSWS3)
- Tropical storm winds are expected to hit with 171-220 km/h within hin next 12 hours.
- Many other wind storms with over 220 km/h are forecasted to start 12 hours from now.
Public Storm Warning Signals 1
When a tropical storm is on the way, the storm warning signals are a warning medium to alert the people in the affected area. This signal using metrological data gives helpful knowledge like a rainstorm and wind speed differs from warnings of real storm situations.
Here, we enlisted some actions which people should have taken in such conditions. These actions can help residents of that area to prepare before heavy storm hits. So, let’s read it.
- PSWS1 remains active for at least 36 hours.
- Weather range expected between 36 hours after PSWS1.
- Winds of 30-60 km/h are expected under open area situations.
- Ripples between 1.25-4.0 meters are expected.
- Tropical cyclones may also affect the site.
- Inconsistent rainfall is expected within 36 hours.
Due to storm weather conditions, people have to face several damages. These are related to infrastructure, people’s lives, properties, and also many harmful damages. In this section, we explain some damages that affect people harmfully.
- Light to moderate structure damages with low risk.
- Constructed houses may face light damage.
- Banana plants’ leaves are damaged due to storms.
- Small tree twigs are broken or damaged.
- At the flowering stage, the rice crops can be severely damaged.
- Light to no damage for high-risk structures.
What to do in Public Storm Warning Signal #1?
As it is cleared from its name, it is the first stage of PSWS1. It means a tropical cyclone is approaching and expected to start heavy winds and rain within the next 12 hours. We have enlisted some things that you should have to do in this situation.
- Secure all outdoor things like umbrellas, lawn furniture, or potted plants.
- Shut the doors and windows.
- Turn off all air conditioners.
- Turn off all the electrical appliances.
- It is possible, to move to the other room or basement.
- Stay tuned to the recent weather conditions updates on the storms.
If you are outdoors then you should have to search for shelter immediately. The safest option is to go to a sturdy building.
We hope our study regarding public storm warning single 1 helps you a lot in weather disturbance conditions. It is recommended as the most important element to save yourself in stormy weather. From our given tips or information, you can make sure that you and your family should be prepared for severe weather situations and can stay safe until the danger has passed.